How to sleep in Hot Weather
With the Summer sun beaming down the days and nights are getting warmer and many of us are struggling to sleep and keep cool. Here are some handy tips to help you get a good night’s sleep and beat the heat!
- Use light weight sheets and if needed a summer tog duvet – you certainly don’t want to be sleeping with a 13.5 tog duvet on!
- Sleep naked – let yourself feel free and your body stay cool by ditching the Pjs on warm nights
- Keep curtains & windows closed (you don’t want to let hot air inside) throughout the day in order to keep the room as cool as possible
- Open windows at night to let in a nice breeze or use an electric fan
- Try placing a hot water bottle in the freezer and take it to bed with you – the ice cold water will help keep you cool
- Put your socks in the freezer and put them on to go to bed. Keeping your feet cool helps to lower your body temperature
- Don’t get dehydrated in the day – ensure you drink plenty of water (though not too close to bedtime or trips to the toilet will keep you awake!)
- Take a cool shower before bedtime to help lower your body temperature
- Sleep alone – if you normally sleep with a partner, ask them to sleep in the spare room so you can spread out and keep cool
- Stick to your normal bedtime routines, do what your normally do before bed and go to bed at your usual time
And with the typical British weather it will probably be raining the next day so if you don’t manage to sleep well, it’s not the end of the world. Enjoy the summer sun while it lasts!